SDCN Summer Leaders’ Summit
Jul 27 2017
We’re excited to invite your chapter to send two student leaders and one advisor to the SDCN Summer Leaders’ Summit in July 2017!
The SDCN Leaders‘ Summit (SLS) is an unparalleled opportunity to meet the key leaders in the Network and learn from a special core group of SD student leaders and advisors from across the country. Attendees at the Leaders‘ Summit plan for recruiting moderators, participants, and holding events and campaigns throughout the year. They also get key content knowledge to guide their approaches to difficult topics throughout the year.
Guests speakers have included:
- Ashoka YouthVenture, an organization which gives students tools to become social change makers,
- Vernon A. Wall, a nationally known speaker on leadership and one of the founders of the Social Justice Training Institute,
- David Urso, who has inspired professionals and students alike to understand their own values and leadership potential and more!
This is a separate event from the Moderator Workshop held annually on each campus.
Click here to register. Keep reading for more information. Spaces are limited, so register now to ensure that your team can attend.
Who: We recommend sending teams of 3-5 people made up of at least two student leaders and 1-2 advisors. This is the most important planning event for students and advisors organizing dialogue groups on their campus each year through Sustained Dialogue. Remember: these should be the people most directly responsible for the direction of the SD group on campus this coming year.
Where: Sustained Dialogue Institute’s’ National Offices in Washington, DC – 444 N. Capitol St. NW, Washington, DC (with suggested group lodging at George Washington University for $44/person per night or at hotel of your choice).
When: Thursday, July 27 1:30pm – Sunday, July 30 at 2pm. Check out the participant agenda here!
- Learn how to enhance their “pitch” of SD to others
- Participate in exercises to build self-awareness and understanding of work styles
- Map community stakeholders and develop recruitment plans
- Refine selection processes and skill development plans for SD volunteers
- Plan large-scale events to broaden SD’s reach
- Learn tools for innovative social action
- Learn best practices from others on how SD runs best on their campuses
Registration is $235 for each participant and $560 as a package for two student leaders and an advisor before May 31st. To register your campus team, visit our eventbrite registration page. In addition to that page, each participant will need to fill out the Attendee Information Form to make sure we do not poison them and are attentive to all ability needs. Registration closes July 10th (including housing). Spaces are limited, so register soon to reserve yours!
Late registration will increase to $390/attendee and $1,010 for a package after May 31st. The final registration date will be July 10th.
- 2017 Campus Chapter Visioning Packet and Calendar for Pre-work
- Please fill out this google form about what is working well and what challenges you’re having by June 1.
- Student Yearlong SD Plan (download .pdf): Yearlong Calendar
- Pre-reading: SDCN Leadership Manual
- SLS Participant Agenda 2017 – see a sample agenda!
Travel and Logistics:
- We expect teams to arrive before Thursday, July 27th at 1:30pm, when the Summit begins at our offices in DC at 444 N. Capitol St. NW.
- The nearest airport is DCA – Reagan National. BWI – Baltimore is also nearby (about an hour train ride).
- We expect chapters to organize funding for lodging, travel, and registration, but for those who have not budgeted for the event’s costs, please apply for a partial, task-based scholarship through the application found above. We can only accommodate a limited amount of funding for those applying, however, so please make every effort to raise funding through other means.
- After applications are decided, registration costs will be invoiced to the program, not to individuals.
Lodging information for those who are staying at GWU Summer Housing:
- Cost is $150 per person for all three nights ($44 per person per night, plus a one time $12 linen charge and a $5 processing fee).
- Students are heavily encouraged to stay at the dorms at George Washington University. These are multiple occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom. Please be in touch with us about ability needs before registering for a dorm room so we can make sure to have a room that works well for your entire team.
- Advisors are welcome to stay at GWU as well (in advisor-only rooms) or to independently book a room at a local hotel.
- For a list of room amenities plus all items prohibited by GWU, please visit https://summerhousing.gwu.edu/short-stay-pack
- For information on safety and emergency procedures at GWU, please visit http://summerhousing.gwu.edu/safety
- If you have any further questions, please contact us.
Hotel information for those who are not staying at GWU Summer Housing: Please inform us when you register of any participants staying at a hotel for the conference. Please note, separate lodging outside of GWU will need to be arranged by each program individually, not by SDCN. See the map below for several options within one block from our offices:
Where is the SLS located?
All events take place at our office building, 444 N. Capitol St NW, Washington D.C. 20001. This is a large building called “The Hall of States” located just a block from Union Station.
How do I get to and from the SLS and my dorm at GWU?
Both the SLS and GWU are right on metro lines. From GWU, enter the metro at the Foggy Bottom stop and take any line (Blue, Orange, or Silver) toward Largo Town Center or New Carrollton. Get off at Metro Center and transfer to the Red Line toward Glenmont. Get off at Union Station and head away from the statue and toward the tall buildings. The building is on N. Capitol St between D and E streets. To go from the SLS to GWU, simply do these steps in reverse.
How does the DC metro work?
The DC metro is very simple. Before your first ride, buy a SmarTrip card at an automated machine. DO NOT BUY A PAPER FARECARD. Once you’ve bought a SmarTrip card and loaded money on it, all you have to do is tap it to the turnstile to enter and to exit the metro. The lines have colors and directions, not numbers. We will provide you with a map, and you can also download one of several free DC Metro apps for your smart phone. The metro runs until midnight Sun-Thurs and until 3am Fri-Sat.
Should I eat breakfast each morning before I arrive?
No! We will have bagels and fruit every morning, as well as coffee all day. If you would like something else, feel free to get that for yourself and bring it with you.
How do I get to the SLS from the airport?
From DCA (Reagan National Airport): Take the metro! Take the Yellow line towards Greenbelt or Fort Totten, get off at Gallery Place/Chinatown and transfer to the Red Line toward Glenmont. Get off at Union Station. You can also take the Blue Line toward Largo Town Center and transfer to the Red at Metro Center (get off at Union Station), but this is a slightly longer trip, so if you see a Yellow Line train, hop on that one!
From BWI (Baltimore): Take a MARC or Amtrak train from BWI to Union Station. Timetables and prices are available online.
From IAD (Dulles): Take a super shuttle or an express bus. The super shuttle will drop you off anywhere you want, and the bus takes you to L’Enfant Metro station, which is just one transfer away from our office (take the Yellow or Green Lines toward Fort Totten or Greenbelt. Transfer at Gallery Place to the Red Line toward Glenmont, and exit at Union Station). A cab from Dulles is pretty expensive.
What costs are included in my registration and housing fee?
All meals from Thursday dinner through Sunday lunch are included except for dinner on Saturday when we will let you explore the city on your own. Materials, t-shirts, and speakers are included. A room at GWU and linens are included in your housing fee.
What is not included: transportation costs into the city or from the dorms to the SLS, dinner Friday night.
What sort of room will I be staying at in the GWU dorms?
You will be staying in a double or triple room with a common bathroom on the hall. The rooms will be single-gender. If dividing by gender poses a challenge for you, please let us know and we will find a great solution. You will all be staying in the same dorm, likely on the same hall, which will make it easy for you to travel together to and from the SLS office. We will let you know your room assignments before you arrive.
If something goes wrong with my travel plans, what do I do?
If your flight is delayed, just keep us posted. You can call our office at (202) 393-7643. Texting is probably the best way to reach us from Thursday – Sunday!
I can’t come! Can I have a refund?
You can have a full refund up until 30 days before the event. After that time, we will be unable to issue a refund for your registration fee but will give you or another member of your school group a credit to attend a similarly priced event in the future. After July 1, we will be unable to secure any refund for your housing fee.